10 Things to Do at Calgary Stampede Week
10 Things to Do at Calgary Stampede Week 2014
The self-proclaimed “greatest outdoor show on earth” is back from July 4-13 to ring in another year of fun, food and brews. Stampede Week, which is Calgary’s own rendition of a Nashville (Tennessee) country hoedown, has some amazing events that cowboy aficionados and country music fans alike can’t miss. Here are our top 10 must-do’s for Stampede Week:
10. Get the ‘Nashville Star’ experience. Undiscovered talent will belt out ballads in hopes of winning the Calgary Stampede Talent Search. Grab a seat and enjoy the show.
Calary Stampede Talent Search / Facebook
9. Live like a real cowboy. From blacksmithing to sheep shearing to cowboy competitions, there are plenty of great agricultural-themed events to tip your cowboy hat to.
8. Check out Canada’s own Paul Brandt. As always, there are many great acts to hear at Stampede Week. And this year’s top headliner won’t disappoint. Many musical acts are sold or selling out. Get your tickets here.
7. Chow down on some homestyle eats. The marketplace serves up authentic country dishes that you can’t get at your mainstream restaurants. And good food will keep you fueled up for any Stampede Week activity.
6. ‘See it to believe it.’ A people pleaser since 1912, the Transalta Grandstand Show is an audio visual treat for your senses.
5. Try your luck at the Stampede casino. The Cowboy’s Casino gives you plenty of gaming options to try if you want to do something a little different from the Stampede events.
4. Attend the premier chuckwagon event. Watch as 36 drivers, 216 horses and their teams compete for $1.15 million in prize money at the GMC Rangeland Derby. Horse lovers and sports enthusiasts alike will love this event. This year’s Derby features an all new Semi-Final Saturday.
3. Watch the world’s best rodeo stars compete. The Calgary Stampede Rodeo is the world’s richest tournament-style rodeo, with top athletes vying for more than $2 million in prize money.
2. Kickoff Stampede Week at the parade. From celebrity sightings to smiling cowboys riding high on their horses, this two-and-a-half-mile parade is a fun time for everyone.
1. Party like a rodeo star at the Stampede Club Crawl. A night spent at the hottest clubs (no line, no cover!) and boozing it up on party buses, the Crawl is totally worth getting tickets for now. The dates are July 4 & 11 (Friday) and July 5 & 12 (Saturday), with tickets starting at only $20. Before you go, read our guide to surviving a night at the Stampede Club Crawl.
San Francisco Chronicle / Sfgate.com